June 14th is Flag Day. Celebrate then and every day. A flag is more than colored cloth hanging on a pole. A flag contains symbols that mean something to people. The American flag has thirteen red and white stripes that stand for our thirteen original colonies (states). It also has fifty stars, with each standing for one of our fifty states. Try making a flag that would mean something to you by using symbols to stand for important things in your life.
Your Own Flag
· 12 x 18 (or poster board)
· 3/4 " dowel (optional)
· Lamination or clear Con-Tact paper (optional)
1. Write your name (really big) in the middle of the paper. Decide what things in your life are important to you. It could be your hobbies, team sports, pets, church, or anything else.
2. Pick a symbol to stand for each activity and draw them on the flag. (Or you could cut the symbols from construction paper and use glue to place them on the flag.)
3. It is a good idea to laminate your flag or cover with clear Con-Tact paper in order to strengthen it.
4. You can attach your new flag to a wooden dowel if you have one. PVC also works. Put several pieces of tape on the left (short) edge and wrap this around your dowel so that your flag will be able to stand up.
5. Fly it someplace special!
Here is a great link for flag making.
Post a Comment